Monday, January 30, 2012

So You Can OD on McNuggets

Have you seen this article yet?

It's about a girl in the U.K. who collapsed and was rushed to the hospital because she has eaten almost nothing except chicken nuggets since the age of two. My goal here is not to vilify McD's (she would also eat frozen nuggets made at home), but to introduce an idea that is at the core of my problem with processed foods.

Processed foods are junk food. Junk food is addictive.

Let me just tell you, I have been working on this post all day and it just keeps getting longer and longer. I spent less time on certain papers in college. So I am going to have to break it down. Here's what we are going to discuss over the next few weeks and then tie it all back to the article above:
  1. Some current research concerning addictive properties of junk food
  2. Why processed foods should be classified as junk food, or "edible non-foods" *
  3. What about the children?
  4. Time to stop blaming the victim
  5. How can we get this stuff out of our lives?
*Erika to the rescue! Her blog posts this week (parts III, III, & IV) explain the problems with processed foods! Yay! Go read them. I am not going to try and repeat all that here.

No comments:

Post a Comment