Monday, March 26, 2012

Why I am Opposed to Juicing

When you juice fruits, you are essentially creating a processed food. While the fruit juice may originate from a whole fruit, it is now processed. As a result, the nutrients in the fruit are now released quickly into the body and this includes the sugar. The fiber, (a beneficial part of food) is removed, and therefore there is no buffer between the sugar and your bloodstream.


When you eat a fruit, it takes about 30 minutes or so for digestion, while juice happens essentially immediately.



I have insulin resistance. For me, juicing would be a nightmare to my system. I see tons of "juicers" out there, and they don't warn people about sugar, they just push the vitamins and minerals aspect.

Quite a few of my friends are jumping on this bandwagon, and i don't know what the outcome will be for them. They rave about how awesome it is. I will not be going down this path.



Also, juicing can be EXPENSIVE. I saw the ingredient list that one friend put into a batch of juice...I'm telling you, this amount of produce could have fed myself, my husband and my son for a week. I would rather eat this food outright and have my tummy full.



I'll be saving juice for a delicious treat with sunday brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment